A high level of SSC CGL preparation strategy is needed to crack the exam SSC CGL Exam. This article will provide a list of SSC CGL Books and the syllabus for SSC CGL Preparation.
The SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam is one of the most sought-
The SSC CGL Exam is conducted in 4 stages, and each stage has a different exam pattern. The SSC CGL Exam pattern is as follows:
|Tier||Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time allowed|
|Tier I||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 Minutes (Total)
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- Pl 80 Minutes
|Tier II||Paper-I: Quantitative Abilities||100||200||120Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 160 Minutes
|Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|Paper-IV: General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
|Tier III||Descriptive Paper in Hindi/English( Essay, Letter, applications, precis)||–||100||60 Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 80 Minutes
Tier IV Exam evaluates the Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable) of candidates. Post this; Document Verification is done as per the provisions of the notice of examination.
SSC CGL Books
The SSC CGL preparation will require a reference to many books.
SSC CGL Books for English
Candidates must leave no stone unturned for SSC CGL English Preparation both in Paper I and Paper-II. The important SSC CGL Books for English are given below:
- Objective General English by SPBakshi (Arihant).
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal.
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad.
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – By Arun Sharma.
- Wren & Martin – High School English Grammar and Composition,
- Perfect Competitive English V.K. Sinha.
- Competitive General English Kiran Prakashan.
- From Plinth to Paramount- Neetu Singh.
- A Mirror of Common Errors- Dr. Ashok Kumar Singh.
Books for SSC CGL Maths
Below are the best books for SSC CGL Maths:
- Advanced Maths by Rakesh Yadav.
- Magical Book on Quicker Maths by M Tyra.
- SSC Elementary and Advanced Maths BY Kiran.
- NCERT Maths from Grade 6 to Grade 11.
- Quantitative Aptitude by Dr. R.S Agarwal is also one of the best books for SSC CGL Maths.
SSC CGL Reasoning Books
The important SSC CGL Reasoning Books are given below:
- Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by. Dr. R.S. Aggarwal.
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey.
- Logical and Analytical Reasoning by A.K. Gupta.
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma.
SSC CGL General Awareness Books
The SSC CGL General Awareness Books have been listed below:
- Manorama Yearbook.
- General Knowledge- Lucent Publication.
- NCERT Books of Class X, XII- History, Geography, Economics.
Topics for SSC CGL Preparation for the Exam
Important topics for the SSC CGL Exam, according to the Tiers have been highlighted below:
Tier I Exam
General Intelligence and Reasoning
Questions from both verbal and non-verbal types are asked. Topics like analogies, similarities, and differences, space visualization, spatial orientation, problem-solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding, statement conclusion, syllogistic reasoning, etc. Apart from these below topics are also included:
- Statement and Conclusions.
- Seating Arrangements.
- Data Sufficiency.
- Reasoning Analogies.
- Order & Ranking.
- More such concept-based articles on reasoning topics can be found on the Logical Reasoning page linked here.
This section includes all important topics related to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research. For the preparation of current affairs, candidates must go through:
- Daily Current Affairs.
- Daily News Analysis.
Topics for General Awareness section candidates must prepare below mentioned important topics:
- Governors in India.
- Members of Parliament.
- Members of Lok Sabha.
- List of Arjuna Award Winners.
- FIFA World Cup Winners List.
- Fathers Of Various Fields.
The important topics in this section are whole numbers, decimals, fractions, and relationships between nPercentagesrcentage. Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Basic algebraic identities, geometrical problems, etc.
The candidate must be well aware of the below-listed topics:
- Shortcut tricks For Squares & Cube Roots.
- Tips to solve Number Series.
- Maths Tricks for Competitive Exams.
- Quadratic Equation.
SSC CGL English section includes cover essays, grammar, passages, etc.
A few of the relevant topics have been listed below:
- List Of Synonyms and Antonyms.
- List of One Word Substitutions.
- List Of Homophones, Homonyms & Homographs.
- Idioms And Phrases.
- Letter writing format, rules, and list of prepositions, articles, conjunctions, etc. candidates can check the link provided.
Paper-I (Quantitative Abilities)
This paper tests a candidate’s calculation and numeric skills. The topics included in this are whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, distance, surds, Graphs of Linear Equations, Complementary angles, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart, etc.
Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension)
Paper-II of SSC CGL English preparation evaluates a candidate’s grammar and language skills. The topics included in this are– spotting the error, filling in the blanks, synonyms, and antonyms, spelling/ detecting misspelled words, idioms one-word, one-word substitution, active/ passive voice of verbs, conversion into direct/ indirect narration, shuffling of sentence parts, shuffling of sentences in a passage, etc.
Check out important questions and answers on relevant English Topics.
- One Word Substitution Questions & Answers.
- Tenses Questions and Answers.
- Direct & Indirect Speech Questions & Answers.
This paper consists of topics related to the Collection and Representation of data, Skewness & kurtosis, Measures of Central Tendency, correlation & regression, Probability Theory, and time series analysis, Index numbers, etc.
Paper-IV (General Studies-Finance and Economics)
Part – A- (Finance & Accounts)
This paper will be for 80 marks, and includes topics related to Rectification of Errors, Manufacturing, Trading, Profit & Loss Appropriation Accounts, Balance Sheet Distinction between Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Depreciation Accounting, Valuation of Inventories, Non-profit Organizations Accounts, Receipts and Payments, and Income & Expenditure Accounts, Bills of Exchange, Self-Balancing Ledgers, etc.
Part -B- (Economics and Governance)
This paper will be for the remaining 120 marks and includes topics related to Money & Banking, Economic reforms, Theory of demand and supply, Economics- Micro & macro, Market supply analysis, etc.
Tier III Exam
This exam is a subjective paper and can be attempted in Hindi/English. Candidates need to prepare for applications, letters, essays, etc.
Tier IV Exam
- This exam will be done to evaluate a candidate’s typing and basic computer-related skills.
- The “Data Entry Speed Test” Skill Test will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
- The Computer Proficiency Test (CPT), will have Word Processing, Spreadsheet, and Generation of Slides as the test topics.
- There are certain tests reserved for specific candidates and posts. Referring to the SSC CGL Eligibility criteria would help the candidates a lot in knowing the details regarding those tests.