National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET Exam Eligibility)

NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) is an entrance examination, which is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for students aspiring for undergraduate courses (Medical and Dental) like MBBS and BDS in private and government colleges in India. This exam is primarily one-tier based and is conducted annually.

Before applying for NEET, must go through the application form to see whether they fall under the eligibility criteria mentioned in it. The criteria for the exam would be different depending on the State or All India Basis.

NEET 2022 Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility Criteria for NEET 2022
Age Criteria The minimum age limit is 17 years as of December 31, of the year of admission, or students belonging to all the categories. Hence, for candidates to qualify for the lower age limit, they must be born on or before 31.12.2005.

There is no clause on the upper age limit of candidates willing to appear for NEET.

As per the letter dated 09 March 2022, received from National Medical Commission, Under Graduate Medical Education Board pertaining to the upper age limit, there should be no upper age limit as decided in the fourth NMC meeting held on 21 October 2021.

Aggregate Marks For,

General Category – 50% (Physically Handicapped, PH – 45%).

OBC/SC/ST – 40% (PH – 40%).

Number of Subjects There will be a total of 3 subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
Number of attempts There is no such attempt limit in NEET 2022
Year of Passing
  • Candidates who are appearing for their board exams in the year 2022 – Eligible.
  • Candidates who have appeared for the Class 12 exam and appearing for an improvement exam – Eligible.
  • Students who have appeared for the Class 12 exam in 2021 and have taken an improvement exam in 2022, can mention the year of the exam with a better score.

NEET Eligibility Criteria for State Quota

Candidates must note that around 85% of MBBS/BDS seats will be reserved for NEET state’s quota counseling. The rest 15% of the seats are allotted at the central level for All India Counselling. Hence, candidates have to fulfill the below criteria:

  • Applicants should be a resident of the respective state.
  • Applicants should have proper proof of their residency.
  • Applicants should have completed (or pursued) their schooling (Class 12th) from the respective state.
Eligibility Criteria for All India Quota in NEET
  • Applicants have to be a citizen of India.
  • Age criteria as aforementioned must be fulfilled.
  • From the academic year 2022-23, the students from UT of Ladakh shall be eligible for admission under 15% of All India Quota seats
  • From these details, candidates can have a clear idea of the eligibility criteria for NEET 2022.
  • For detailed information on eligibility criteria for J&K candidates under AQI and complete details on eligibility criteria for admissions to different universities, it is suggested that aspirants must refer to the NEET official website containing complete information regarding all queries by the candidates.


Leave a Comment