HCS stands for Haryana Civil Services. It is a combined competitive exam conducted in the Haryana state to recruit eligible candidates for multiple posts in the state offices such as:
- Haryana Civil Services (Executive Branch) HCS (Ex. Br.).
- Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP).
- Excise & Taxation Officer (ETO).
- District Food & Supplies Controller (DFSC).
- Assistant Registrar Cooperative Society (ARCS).
- Assistant Excise & Taxation Officer (AETO).
- Block Development and Panchayat Officer (BDPO).
- District Food & Supplies Officer (DFSO).
- Assistant Employment Officer (AEO).
- Tehsildar (Class A).
- Traffic Manager.
HPSC HCS Eligibility Criteria
The candidates applying for the HCS exam must ensure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria as stated. HCS Eligibility Criteria consists of the fulfillment of age limit and educational qualifications.
The applicant must be either:-
- An Indian Citizen
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- A refugee from Tibet and came to India before 01 Jan 1962 to permanently settle in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam to permanently settle in India.
HCC Age Limit
The age limit eligibility for the Haryana PCS exam must be calculated on or before 01.01.2021
For all the posts except DSP
Minimum Age- 18 years
Maximum Age – 42 years
For the post of DSP
Minimum Age- 18 years
Maximum Age – 27 years
|Categories||No. of years of relaxation|
|Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes||5 years|
|Wives of military personnel who are disabled while in military service.||5 years|
|Unmarried women||5 years|
HPSC Educational Qualification
Applicant must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Science/Commerce or an equivalent degree from a recognized University as on 02.04.2021 (Closing date).
Haryana Public Service Commission releases the HCS Syllabus on its official website, hpsc.gov.in/en-us/. The syllabus includes Prelims Syllabus, Mains, and an optional subject list with the syllabus.
HPSC Prelims Exam Syllabus
It consists of two papers that are General Studies & General Aptitude.
HCS General Studies Paper
It includes the following subjects:
- General Science.
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography.
- Indian Culture, Indian Polity, and Indian Economy.
- General Mental Ability.
- Haryana–Economy, and people. Social, economic, and cultural institutions and language of Haryana.
HCS General Aptitude Paper
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, the order of magnitude, etc. – Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level).
HPSC Mains Syllabus
- The Mains Exam has three compulsory papers.
- English and English Essay.
- Hindi and Hindi Essay.
English and English Essay Syllabus
This section is designed to examine the applicant’s knowledge of reading & comprehending the language. The topics include:
- Precis Writing.
- Comprehension of given passages.
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- General Grammar/Composition.
Hindi and Hindi Essay Syllabus
The exam will follow the Devnagri script. The topics include
- Translation of English passage into Hindi.
- Letter/Precis writing.
- Explanation of Hindi passage (prose and poetry) in the same language.
- Composition (idioms, correction, etc.).
- Essay on a specific topic. The choice of subjects will be given.
HPSC General Studies Syllabus
- History of Modern India and Indian Culture.
- Geography of India.
- Indian Polity.
- Current National issues and topics of social relevance.
- India and the World.
- Indian Economy.
- International Affairs and Institutions.
- Developments in the field of science and technology, communications, and space.
- Statistical analysis, graphs, and diagrams.
HPSC Optional Subject List
There are a total of 29 subjects
|Sr. No.||Subject||Code No.|
|2||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science||2|
|7||Commerce and Accountancy||7|
|13||Hindi Literature (in Devnagri Script)||13|
|22||Political Science and International Relations||22|